On 3/20/07, brabuhr / gmail.com <brabuhr / gmail.com> wrote:
> On 3/20/07, Austin Ziegler <halostatue / gmail.com> wrote:
> > That's usually because OO databases aren't worth the code they're
> > written in for most purposes. I've written about this extensively and
> > recently; I suggest you search for it.
> >
> > > I personally think that relational storage is evil.
> >
> > Then you're either ignorant or a fool. I hope it's just the former,
> > because ignorance can be removed with proper education. Relational
> > databases are a more natural and flexible way of storing data that has
> > value beyond a single program than any hierarchical database will ever
> > be (and both OO and XML databases are hierarchical databases, make no
> > mistake about it!).
>
> Anyone have any comments / experience with "associative" databases like:
>     http://www.associativesolutions.com/relavance.php
>     http://www.lazysoft.com/technology_sentences.htm

I'd never heard of these. The marketing speak sounds like hooey, and
Fabian Pascal quite agrees. Fabian Pascal is, if you will, the Richard
Dawkins of databases. He knows what the hell he's talking about, but
he's an abrasive man who often hurts his own points by his
abrasiveness. Here's three articles:

   http://www.dbdebunk.com/page/page/622443.htm
   http://www.dbdebunk.com/page/page/622368.htm
   http://www.dbdebunk.com/page/page/3278346.htm

I suspect that these are to be heavily avoided in favour of properly
educating oneself about relational data models.

-austin
               * austin / zieglers.ca