For some basic structures, this is not a bad idea, but unfortunately
for many things Ruby code and approach is often pretty different from
similar programs in other languages. It's apples and oranges, they're
all fruit. It's not a competition really. Languages that are really
good at something will stick around because they're good at things in
their own way. After enough code is created in a language, it's going
to be around for a LONG time. The unbelievably long life of legacy
code was proven by the Y2K crisis. Sometimes a particular language is
the right choice for a particular task or just for the particular
situation.
If you have 3 people skilled in Python and C and PERL and a project
that works with existing COBOL to work on you might not choose Ruby
as a tool, but you might.