I'm using Ruby 1.8.5, with SciTE as my IDE.
I'm not a beginner at Ruby, I've been using it for about a year and a
half now.

I just got a new computer, so I installed Ruby onto it. So I open up
SciTE and type out a fairly long program. I run it, and all that pops
up is the cmd window that should compile my code. It hangs there
forever until I close it manually. I said "what is up with this?" and
I tried something. I had an inkling that it was gets() that was
causing my problems, so I made a new program:

name = gets("What is your name? ")
puts name

It still hangs! So, I make a new program, and put:

gets()

It hangs! When I make a program that says

puts("Hello!")

It works fine.

Help me!