Hi,

I believe I've found a prblem creating shared libraries for various Ruby
goodies.

I'm compiling on Solaris 8 with the following:

gcc version 2.95.3 20010315 (release)
GNU assembler version 2.11.2 (sparc-sun-solaris2.8) using BFD version 2.11.2
GNU ld version 2.11.2 (with BFD 2.11.2)

ruby-1.6.4
ruby-1.6.5
eruby-0.9.6
mod_ruby-0.9.2

Not sure what other items may be affected by this, but when one
configures with --enable-shared, the compiler is not passed the
"-shared" option for the linker.  In the respective Makefiles, the macro
LDSHARED if being set as follows:

LDSHARED = $(CC) -Wl,-G

It should be:

LDSHARED = $(CC) -Wl,-G -shared

I first noticed this while trying to build the latest versions of the
above for Apache support and using shared libraries.  Unfortunately, the
make files as they exist cause the symbol "main" to be generated in the
output library and undefined.  This is a problem since the libraries
don't have a "main".

Don't know what other Ruby extensions or modules may be affected by
this as well.

Mike

--
Michael P. Sullivan
Distributed Computing Systems, LLC                         Cell: 516-429-2080