On 14 Mar 2007, at 08:15, Stian Haklev wrote:
> Anyway, I'm throwing this out there, and wondering if it's a good
> idea,
> if you have any inputs etc. It might be hard to imagine how it is
> to be
> learning Ruby with no or almost no access to the network, but I can
> tell
> you that I would certainly pick up such a CD/DVD in a heartbeat, and I
> think it would be really useful. I'd love nothing more than having a
> generation of young creative minds in Indonesia (and other places)
> growing up churning out beautiful Ruby code! (This idea could
> obviously
> be extended to covering other programming languages etc, but I'm a
> Ruby
> guy). Also distribution has to be thought of, but there are lots of
> user
> groups for Ruby/Ubuntu/Linux etc in Indonesia. And we could put it
> up as
> an ISO, so other user groups in other countries could distribute it as
> they saw fit.

This sounds like a brilliant idea. Getting a useful Ruby distro into
the hands of as many programmers as possible would be really good for
the growth of the community. If it could be configured so it all ran
from the CD with Windows/MacOS X/*NIX that would be even better - the
less that needs to be installed, the more that people would be
willing to experiment.

Ellie

Eleanor McHugh
Games With Brains