John Joyce wrote:
>>> Umm, no I didn't. 7Stud 7Stud did.  Just for the record I
>>> do know how to find the /usr/local directory, and
>>> those other things
>>
>> You won't be able to find it on Mac OS 10.4!
>
> You just create it if it isn't there.
> Very simple.
> This makes it easy to follow standard installations elsewhere as well.
> It also makes it real easy to delete everything if you want/need to.
> Just need to learn a little about Bash and your $PATH
> be careful, the $PATH in your shell can be loaded from multiple dot
> files.
> They are standardized. They do load in a particular order. If you
> have modified your $PATH already in one of the dot files, you may
> need to care where you modify it again.
>   (again you do need some Unix skill or references if you don't have it)
>   (again the reason I recommend the OReilly Unix in a Nutshell, they
> give a good and fast rundown on the Bash shell. The Linux in a
> Nutshell book is almost identical, but doesn't cover the differences
> among nixes)
>
> You will also be glad to have a little MySQL (or the database of your
> choice) under your belt or in your library. Sorry, but there are no
> easy magic bullets for everything.

I'm about half way through the Wrox book "Beginning Unix", which has so
many omissions and errors, I would not recommend it to anyone--although
figuring out all the errors has taught me a lot.  The problem I find is
that there are enough differences between Unix and  OS 10.4.7, that I
never know whether a missing 'thing' in OS X should be created or
whether the Mac uses something else to do the same thing.  For instance,
crond.  That daemon isn't present on OS X 10.4.7.  Should I start it?
No!  Mac uses a new process called lauchd to control all processes in a
methodical fashion--instead of the adhoc patch on patch on patch mess
that Unix has evolved into(that from an article I found praising
launchd, which Apple made open source).

So, when I can't find /usr/local, I wonder if there is some other
directory OS 10.4.7 looks to instead.  I scoured google and I can't find
ANY mention of /usr/local not being present in OS 10.4.7.

> You just create it if it isn't there.
> Very simple.

What permissions does it need?