On 3/13/07, Chad Perrin <perrin / apotheon.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 14, 2007 at 06:02:27AM +0900, Robert Dober wrote:
> > >
> > Right now I see that this really goes to your heart, I appreciate and
> > respect people who speak out loudly what they feel.
>
> I'm sure you'd appreciate and respect me quite a bit, right up to the
> point where you got tired of it.  I've never been one to give way to
> what I know to be wrong (though some might say my "knowing" is
> incorrect).
But I do appreciate you, I only feel that I have said enough for what
I know for now.

> > I will take a brake now, it is not fair anyway two against one, that
> > is Rick & Robert against Chad.
>
> I don't mind so much.  I'm often in a minority position in such debates,
> because it's usually only where I agree with the minority that I see a
> real need to speak up.  When I'm in the majority, I tend to want to read
> the opposing viewpoint for ideas that may have escaped my analysis,
> rather than simply silence it.
Nothing to add here :)

> > I still feel that the GPL can be the right thing, especially for Ruby
> > code, which is source anyway. When it comes to Linuxen there are many
> > potential problems.
> >
> > I will come back to you OL when/if I have learnt more about it. We
> > have a very anti-FSF guy in the office I will have some good talks
> > with him and then do my research.
>
> I sometimes find myself as opposed to the viewpoints of anti-FSF guys,
> because too often they're really kind of anti-FLOSS in general.
> Hopefully that's not the sort of person you have available to you at
> work.
This person might be, it is quite a young guy, but that gives me
insperation, I have to check some facts.

I think the only reason I do not take such strong POV anymore is that
I have been bitten too often by the B/W paradigm. I want to learn more
about the Shades of Gray (hi James ;).

> > For me that was a very good thread (can you hear the violins? ;)
> > sorry if I made you angry with my direct approach.
>
> You didn't.  I appreciate it when someone offers a different perspective
> on my own opinions, as long as that perspective doesn't become
> repetitive and obstinate rather than thoughtful and well-reasoned.

Than everything is fine :) I do not want to repeat myself (DRY in a
different sense;)
> --
> CCD CopyWrite Chad Perrin [ http://ccd.apotheon.org ]
> "It's just incredible that a trillion-synapse computer could actually
> spend Saturday afternoon watching a football game." - Marvin Minsky

Cheers
Robert