On 3/13/07, Chad Perrin <perrin / apotheon.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 13, 2007 at 11:02:36PM +0900, Robert Dober wrote:
> > On 3/13/07, John Joyce <dangerwillrobinsondanger / gmail.com> wrote:
> > >
> > >I don't want to start a war or big debate, but the FSF threatening
> > >legal action against little guys is not good, they should be going
> > >after bigger fish to pursue their goals. But the idea of forcing
> > >everyone else to make free software is a bit extreme. GPL3 is a bit
> > >wacked. I respect their place in history, but even reading the FSF
> > >coding guidelines sounds like Stallman speaking rather than rational
> > >writing. Perhaps his ego has gotten the best of him.
> >

> > No problem this can only be a healthy thing, stretching our tolerance as I
> > said.
> >
> > It is normal that some rumors are worrying but what do we really know about
> > that threats?
>
> Quite a bit, if you were following the news on the subject at the time.
> I'm sure you could confirm the details pretty easily -- an FSF
> spokesperson would probably even give you some official position paper
> on the subject if you asked persistently (and politely) enough.  Be
> aware there'd be spin on it -- but I'm pretty sure you could pick out
> the relevant facts.  You could then compare it for points of agreement
> and a different perspective with information from the MEPIS project and
> other Linux distributions who have been at the wrong end of the FSF's
> stick.  That's all assuming that the information that was once online is
> now not so easily accessible -- I know that at least one source of
> information has been taken down (a MEPIS project posting about the
> subject was replaced with GPL compliance FAQ, or something to that
> effect).
>

> > I also think they should be indulgent but maybe I find time to research a
> > little bit about these cases and maybe drop them a friendly mail.
>
> Excellent.  Let me know how that works out for you, please.
>

> > BTW as Ruby can be licensed under the GPL this is all but OFF TOPIC, I feel.
>
> Good point -- but I guess I can see the opposing perspective as well,
> that it is sort of off topic.  Sort of.
Well there were worse threads concerning OTness ;)

> --
> CCD CopyWrite Chad Perrin [ http://ccd.apotheon.org ]
> "Real ugliness is not harsh-looking syntax, but having to
> build programs out of the wrong concepts." - Paul Graham

Right now I see that this really goes to your heart, I appreciate and
respect people who speak out loudly what they feel.

I will take a brake now, it is not fair anyway two against one, that
is Rick & Robert against Chad.

I still feel that the GPL can be the right thing, especially for Ruby
code, which is source anyway. When it comes to Linuxen there are many
potential problems.

I will come back to you OL when/if I have learnt more about it. We
have a very anti-FSF guy in the office I will have some good talks
with him and then do my research.

For me that was a very good thread (can you hear the violins? ;)
 sorry if I made you angry with my direct approach.

Cheers
Robert

-Anonymous