On 3/13/07, Chad Perrin <perrin / apotheon.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 13, 2007 at 07:55:18PM +0900, Robert Dober wrote:
> > >>

> > Gentlemen
> >
> > this is probably a really tough test for our tolerance.
> >
> > I think that the problem of the FSF is that they needed lawyers and if
> > you are an anarchist like Chad seems to be and I am to some extent
> > than you are in big troubles.
>
> Heh.  I'm not an anarchist -- haven't been since shortly after high
> school, when I came to some conclusions about power vacuums, and
> abandoned my previously anarcho-capitalist leanings in favor of a
> principled libertarian minarchism (yes, political science is a hobby of
> mine).  I guess one might consider me something of an anarchist where
> "intellectual property" law is concerned, though.  If someone isn't
> using or threatening violence, or perpetuating fraud, I don't think his
> or her actions should be illegal.  Period.
That is a reasonable position well explained. Sorry for using a word
which can be easily missintrepreted, that was not the best expression
I used.

> > The law Chad, is of course a gun on our head, but it is also a gun on
> > the head of e.g. Microsoft.
>
> A gun should be employed as a weapon of defense.  When it is used
> offensively, it is used improperly.  That's my take on the matter.  That
> means that if someone employs force (physical, potential, or deceptive)
> to enforce his or her will over your own, that person is acting in an
> unethical manner, and force is an appropriate response.

It was your metaphor, not mine;) I am against guns (and knives for
that matter) in general.
> I don't see that justification holding up for enforced source code
> distribution.
Please do not insist that it is enforced it is your choice to use the
licence or not.
Continue the good work of pointing the restrictions of the GPL out,
but I feel that you are unjust on this little point, forgive me my
bluntness.

If you really think it is enforced - though I really do not see why -
well than I will not argue about it anymore but I feel that you make
mistake on that point.

Since you started analyzing my statements somewhat, I
> figured I'd offer you some more information on the thought behind them.

You are right that is one of my many bad habits, I can see that now.

> > Microsoft would have destroyed the market already were it not for some
> > laws, I think we can agree on this, right?
>
> Actually, I'm pretty sure that Microsoft would have tanked a long time
> ago, if it weren't for some *other* laws.
>
> --
> CCD CopyWrite Chad Perrin [ http://ccd.apotheon.org ]
> Ben Franklin: "As we enjoy great Advantages from the Inventions of
> others we should be glad of an Opportunity to serve others by any
> Invention of ours, and this we should do freely and generously."

Cheers
Robert

-Anonymous