>> Umm, no I didn't. 7Stud 7Stud did.  Just for the record I
>> do know how to find the /usr/local directory, and
>> those other things
>
> You won't be able to find in on Mac OS 10.4!

You just create it if it isn't there.
Very simple.
This makes it easy to follow standard installations elsewhere as well.
It also makes it real easy to delete everything if you want/need to.
Just need to learn a little about Bash and your $PATH
be careful, the $PATH in your shell can be loaded from multiple dot
files.
They are standardized. They do load in a particular order. If you
have modified your $PATH already in one of the dot files, you may
need to care where you modify it again.
  (again you do need some Unix skill or references if you don't have it)
  (again the reason I recommend the OReilly Unix in a Nutshell, they
give a good and fast rundown on the Bash shell. The Linux in a
Nutshell book is almost identical, but doesn't cover the differences
among nixes)

You will also be glad to have a little MySQL (or the database of your
choice) under your belt or in your library. Sorry, but there are no
easy magic bullets for everything.