On 3/11/07, Chad Perrin <perrin / apotheon.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 12, 2007 at 03:53:05AM +0900, Robert Dober wrote:
> > >
> > <snip>
> >
> > I feel that the GPL is not *easy* to use but I also feel that it is
> > important.
> > I am nervous about the BSD or Ruby licence, although they are
> > convenient for sure - in the short run.
> > I have the feeling that they are naive and that the wonderful things
> > they do not really
> > protect might be taken away from the community one day.
> >
> > But I am quite a pessimist.
>
> Optimist:  the glass is half full
> Pessimist:  the glass is half empty
> Cynic:  the glass is half empty, but it's probably not something you
> wanted to drink anyway
>
> I'm a cynic, according to my own definition: an optimist that has
> learned from life experience.  I am concerned with the notion that the
> BSD license doesn't ensure that we will always have source code
> available to us when we get the binary.  On the other hand, I am *more*
> concerned that the *forced distribution of source code* mandated by the
> GPL is actually more restrictive in practice.  For one thing, it
> prevents anyone that didn't have the foresight to get the source at the
> same time as the binaries from redistributing the binaries in his or her
> possession, unless he or she can still find the source.  For another, it
> requires, in many cases, for those with limited resources to choose
> between maintaining an archive of source code with redundant backups for
> several years after distributing binaries, or simply not distributing.
>
> I definitely prefer the BSD license.  It would be better to have access
> to a binary with no source than neither (to compare worst-case
> scenarios).
>
> Of course, I find both annoyingly limited in applicability to a single
> form of copyrightable work, and the BSD license's applicability to
> derivative works is ambiguous.  I still prefer the BSD license over the
> GPL, especially considering recent examples of the FSF threatening legal
> action against small community Linux distributions for debatable
> violations of GPL terms.

I have heard of that and I was quite alarmed about it. I do not
however think that one should forget the importance of GPL and it's
inventor on the paradigm change in society.

Your points are very valid and understandable, but maybe the defensive
aggressive attitude of the FSF is nothing more than somebody wanting
the rights they are fighting for respected.

It is however vital to know how far they go for everybody before they
chose their licence and it is a good thing to talk about it often.

Cheers
Robert

> --
> CCD CopyWrite Chad Perrin [ http://ccd.apotheon.org ]
> "The first rule of magic is simple. Don't waste your time waving your
> hands and hopping when a rock or a club will do." - McCloctnick the Lucid

-Anonymous