On Mar 12, 2007, at 4:13 AM, 7stud 7stud wrote:

> Thanks for the response.  I'm actually interested in TextMate as well.
> Do you know if I can create my own auto completion snippets in
> TextMate.
> For instance, I currently use an editor where I can assign any
> character
> sequence to a code snippet.  Then if I type the character sequence and
> hit the space bar, the code snippet is entered.

You can do this with TextMate although the tab key is the key used to
complete code snippets. For a particular (i.e., frequently used)
snippet, dedicated shortcuts can assigned in place of tab completion
if you so wish. For instance, if you highlight the two lines

foo = bar
zot ||= []

and hit cntrl-shift-W, inserts the code snippet

begin
    foo = bar
    zot ||= []
rescue Exception => e

end

The 'Exception' and the 'e' are place holders. Hitting tab will
select them for immediate in-place editing.

> I also use the auto completion a lot just for long method names; I
> type
> one or two characters and hit the space bar, and bang, the method name
> is inserted. It's very easy to add new character sequences and the
> corresponding code I want attached to the character sequence.  It's
> also
> an extremely fast to have the space bar as the trigger for the auto
> completion.

TextMate maintains auto-completion for all the tokens you have in an
edit buffer. You don't have to specify any character sequences. The
escape key is the auto-completion key. You type the first few
characters of a token and hit escape. If the first completion offered
isn't the one you want, hit escape again. The completions are offered
in most-recently-used order.

Regards, Morton