Marc Heiler wrote:
> on IRC it happens too often
> that people on rails dont know irb, and it can
> be frustrating to tutor people that are only, mostly interested
> in rails)

I don't understand the distinction between "learning irb" and "learning
Ruby".   For instance, if I am going to write a hello world program, I
open up a text editor, type in the code, save it, and then run it by
typing:

ruby myProgram.rb

I realize that you could do the same thing in irb, but editing is easier
in a text file.  So, as far as I can tell, you don't ever have to use
irb to learn Ruby.  Is there something important about irb that I am
missing?