Brian Candler wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 08, 2007 at 08:49:00PM +0900, Jenda Krynicky wrote:
>>
>> Well, maybe it does the exact some thing ... and maybe it also changes
>> the obj variable from whatever it was before this line to the last
>> object in the list.
>
> FWIW, I understand this is/has changed in ruby 1.9, so that block
> parameters are always local to the block.

Makes sense. Except that it's a backwards incompatible change.

I don't see why can't the rubyists accept that sometimes it does make
sense to be able to explicitely declare a variable, to explicitely mark
an assignment as being more than as assignment, but rather also a
variable declaration. Even if allowing myself to ask Ruby to report a
compiletime error if I do not mark the first assignments is out of
question.

Jenda