I think I'm going crazy.  I tried to write a fairly simple program to
test ljust, center and rjust.  But I cannot make the page numbers of my
table of contents line up.  I tried to account for the string length of
the chapter and topics; I've tried a lot of things and I just cannot get
the page numbers to line up.  If anyone knows how to do it please let me
know.  I don't think I'll be able to go to bed without figuring it out.
Here is my latest code and output:

////////// code //////////////

class TableOfContents
attr_accessor :chapters, :topics, :pages
end

toc = TableOfContents.new
toc.chapters = ["Chapter 1", "Chapter 2", "Chapter 3"]
toc.topics = ["Numbers", "Letters", "Variables"]
toc.pages = ["Page 1", "Page 57", "Page 117"]

lineWidth = 20
3.times do |x|
offset = toc.chapters[x] + ": " + toc.topics[x]
offset = 40 - offset.length
puts toc.chapters[x] + ": " + toc.topics[x] +
toc.pages[x].rjust(lineWidth + offset + (10 - toc.pages[x].length))
end

//////////// output /////////////////

Chapter 1: Numbers                                        Page 1
Chapter 2: Letters                                      Page 57
Chapter 3: Variables                                  Page 117

!! Using this line rather than the above line 14 gives this

new line 14:

puts toc.chapters[x] + ": " + toc.topics[x] +
toc.pages[x].rjust(lineWidth)

new output:

Chapter 1: Numbers              Page 1
Chapter 2: Letters             Page 57
Chapter 3: Variables            Page 117

Thanks

-- 
Posted via http://www.ruby-forum.com/.