On 3/7/07, John Joyce <dangerwillrobinsondanger / gmail.com> wrote:
> Remember in those days, heck even in the 80's languages and tools
> (programs) used the shortest names possible because computing power
> and memory were at a premium so even saving one character made a
> difference. Thus we get all these sick little names for Unix tools,
> love them or hate them.

On the other hand.  I once was talking to the late John Cocke.  John
was one of the oldest language gurus at IBM, and was best known for
his work on optimizing compilers, and later for fostering RISC
architectures which relied on such compilation technology.

John told me that when he wrote his first FORTRAN compiler, he had it
accept something like 7 different spellings of the keyword CONTINUE,
because "I'll be damned if I'll let any compiler I write tell me I
can't spell."

--
Rick DeNatale

My blog on Ruby