On Fri, Mar 09, 2007 at 03:30:12AM +0900, Daniel Berger wrote:
> On Mar 8, 11:10 am, Chad Perrin <per... / apotheon.com> wrote:

> > > Damn, it's also the name of my top secret fork of Ruby for MS Windows.
> > > Windows + Ruby = Wuby. :)
> >
> > > I'm dwivin' in my car...
> >
> > Hey . . . if you were really planning a "top secret fork of Ruby for MS
> > Windows", I'd say Wuby would be an *excellent* name for the language.
> > One wonders, however, why you'd need to fork it for Windows.
>
> A Windows-only fork would have several advantages.
>
> First, I could use the native Windows API functions for everything and
> not worry about *nix compatability.

That's not a benefit of a Windows-only fork -- it's a "benefit" of
deciding you're not going to code for portability.  Choosing a
Windows-only language is part of making the decision to ignore
portability, not a free pass so you don't have to make the decision.

> Second, I could modify the core classes as I see fit to take advantage
> of the Windows API functions.

Why can't you do that with Ruby -- or just create mutant relatives of
the Ruby core classes?

> Third, I could alter the API of some of the Ruby core classes and/or
> modules where it makes sense to do so on Windows (i.e. get rid of the
> Unix-isms, add  Windows-isms).

You could do that anyway.  Feel free to create Windows-only modules.

> Fourth, I could more easily handle Unicode issues (ties back to the
> first reason).

I think my answer to that is the same as my answer to the third point.

This sig for rent:  a Signify v1.14 production from http://www.debian.org/