I've given this some thought, and it seems like a much bigger project
than I immediately imagined -- i was surprised to find a much greater
need of features than anticipated. I am currently pondering whether to
do this as a Summer of Code project (that is, if I'm lucky enough to get
elected.)

Unfortunately, I do not have great experience with benchmarking, neither
the underlying math (well, I have some), nor the actual need of the
people who would use an extended framework.

The only thing I have ever used benchmarking for was to compare the
speed of two methods with the same functionality (e.g. sorting).

So what I initially want to ask you guys is this: what else do you use
benchmarking for? Do you benchmark your entire application, and compare
results from different revisions? I'd really like to know.

Second, if there are others who would be interested in contributing to
any project, given that the need is real, I would be delighted to hear
from them!

Cheers,
Daniel