Jenda Krynicky wrote:
> Chad Perrin wrote:
>>> Observe:
>>>
>>> http://66.102.9.104/search?q=cache:xXEIdNOg_48J:www.perlmonks.org/%3Fnode_id%3D81566+jenda+ruby&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=3&gl=uk&client=firefox-a
>>>
>>> Not definitive, but certainly interesting.  Also:
>>>
>>> http://66.102.9.104/search?q=cache:95o0skP5sNAJ:www.perlmonks.org/%3Fnode_id%3D92976+jenda+ruby&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=4&gl=uk&client=firefox-a
>> That almost makes me embarrassed to be a Perl hacker on ruby-talk.
>>
>> We're not all like that.  In fact, that's a distinct rarity.  So sad
>> that it's in someone well known that you get to see this nonsense.
>
> Well this is what you get if you force an already angry person to learn
> a butt ugly language because some managor never heard of anything other
> than ASP.Net, Java and Ruby on Rails. And decided (under these
> conditions correctly) that the best option is RoR.
So you've been tasked by your superiors to learn a new language, and
your first interaction with the people who can best help you do that is
to antagonise them?

> And no matter what you say treating newline as a statement terminator IS
> plain stupid. Especially since the Ruby parser is not bright enough to
> handle
>
>  foo.bar( 1 + 2
>   + 3
>  )
>
> Well, at least it breaks noisily in this case.
>
> And while this is just a syntactic issue that I will most likely end up
> learning to accept, the absence of use strict and even the total
> unability to specify that I DO want a new variable is something I will
> hate till the Ruby community gets through the flaming discussion that
> the Perl one had some eight years ago.
Please accept the simple fact that Ruby is not Perl, will not become
Perl, and does not need to be Perl.  You will find that we are quite
willing to help with any problems you may have (at least, those of us
who haven't killfiled you already), but it is exceedingly unlikely that
any complaints you make about the language itself will be taken
seriously until you have enough experience with it to understand why it
is the way it is, and to analyse it on its own merits as opposed to
measuring it against an arbitrary external yardstick.

You are not the first person to make these complaints - although I've
never seen them made in such a mean-spirited, arrogant manner - and you
probably won't be the last.  Somehow, in spite of the issues you've
identified, some of us manage to get useful, profitable work done.  It
might be worth your while investigating how that's possible.

This is all I'm going to say on the matter.  I presume everyone else is
following a "don't feed the trolls" policy - I guess I'm a little too
generous for that.

--
Alex