On 3/8/07, Michael Strelnikov <michaelst / gmail.com> wrote:

> > Well I tried hard with Binding.of_caller from facet but maybe I miss
> > something.
> > As I mentioned before I am not a metaprogramming guru :(
>

> :)
>
> > Also, can I pass a "reference"/"pointer" into function?
> > Well all parameters are passed as references - even if there is a
> > studied discussion if this terminology is 100% correct.
> >
> > try e.g.
> > a="Hi there"
> > def change s
> >   s << "!!!"
> > end
> > change a
> > puts a
> > >

> Probably it works with strings but try following code:
>
> def test_change(var, val)
>     var = val
> end
>
> myvar = 5
> test_change(myvar, 10)
> puts myvar.to_s

They second I sent the mail I knew I was not precise enough :(

Variables themselves are passed as values, stupid me how could I have
been so imprecise.
Only that all variables are than references to objects which can be
changed unless they are immutable.

thy Michael and sorry for my hasty post

Robert
-Anonymous