On Thu, Mar 08, 2007 at 03:54:10PM +0900, Yukihiro Matsumoto wrote:
> Hi,
>
> In message "Re: elseif v. elsif ??"
>     on Thu, 8 Mar 2007 15:00:36 +0900, Chad Perrin <perrin / apotheon.com> writes:
>
> |  elseif is more correct because "else" has an E in it!
> |
> |  elsif is more correct because it lends to correct pronunciation, while
> |  elseif looks like it should be pronounced "ell-safe"!
> |
> |Both are silly, all things considered.  Both approaches are "incorrect"
> |by the grammatical rules of English.
>
> Correct or not, I chose 'elsif' as the shortest correct pronounceable
> word for 'else if'.

. . . and I'm perfectly happy with that choice.  I'm sure I'd be happy
with the choice of "elseif", as well, except that I'd be slightly more
likely to introduce typos since I use elsif in Perl a lot more often
than I use elseif in PHP.

"The first rule of magic is simple. Don't waste your time waving your
hands and hopping when a rock or a club will do." - McCloctnick the Lucid