M. Edward (Ed) Borasky wrote:
> Avdi Grimm wrote:
>> On 3/7/07, Brian Adkins <lojicdotcomNOSPAM / gmail.com> wrote:
>>> If you can point me to the Rails newsgroup, I'll try subscribing even if
>>> it doesn't show in Thunderbird. If you're referring to a mailing list
>>> instead, that is less desirable to me, but I could make use of it for
>>> Rails posts that are less relevant to Ruby.
>>
>> The best place to look for ruby-related mailing lists and newsgroups
>> is http://www.ruby-forum.com/.  You can find a link to the Rails
>> mailing list from there. You may find it easier to use the ruby-forum
>> frontend, though, because it's a very high-volume list.
>>
>> That said, I concur that ActiveRecord has wider applicability than
>> just Rails, and I find this an interesting topic of discussion.
>>
> Yes, I'd like to see this discussion continue on the Ruby list, because
> there are some things to be learned from experiences with ActiveRecord.
> So, some questions for Brian:
>
> 1. What's your platform, and what version of Ruby are you running?

$ ruby -v
ruby 1.8.4 (2005-12-24) [i486-linux]

$ uname -a
Linux airstream 2.6.17-11-generic #2 SMP Thu Feb 1 19:52:28 UTC 2007
i686 GNU/Linux

$ rails -v
Rails 1.2.1

I'm running Ubuntu 6.10

> 2. Is it possible for you to abstract a subset of your application as a
> benchmark, suitable for profiling?

Well, the "application" in this case is just a simple test for
benchmarking :)  See my previous post for the Rails controller code
(what little there is of it).

> 3. Is it "simple enough" that it will "probably work" with the recent
> jRuby implementation of Rails?

I would hope so - it doesn't get much simpler.