7stud 7stud <dolgun / excite.com> writes:

> Thanks for all the help.  It looks like way up at the top, Robert Dober
> first identified the problem, but I didn't see how it applied.
>
> As a newcomer, I would suggest someone redo the tutorial "Ruby in 20
> Minutes": add in 'then' and include a statement about 'elsif v. elseif'.
> I still think leaving the 'e' out is a ridiculous construct.

It may seem like a ridiculous construct to you, but for lots of people
who have programmed in other languages, "elsif" is not unusual.  That
spelling has been in use for some 40 years in other languages that many
people are familiar with.

Since ruby has been around for more than 14 years and has probably
thousands of people writing programs in it and probably millions of
lines of code, I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for anyone to change
the spelling of "elsif", because that would break a lot of existing
software ... irrespective of how ridiculous that spelling might seem to
you and other people.

--
 Lloyd Zusman
 ljz / asfast.com