Hi --

On Thu, 8 Mar 2007, Trans wrote:

>> Also, ! methods always come in pairs.  That's
>> not enforced by the language, of course, but it's the convention: the
>> ! indicates the dangerous version of a pair of methods where there's
>> also a non-dangerous version.  Those three methods state clearly what
>> they do in their names, and they don't occur in pairs, so it's not a !
>> situation.
>
> I think that's just a general occurance. Not a rule. In anycase
> there's a good reason for a different type of "danger" --don't
> override me!

Well... we'd have an awful lot of !'s if it started meaning that :-)
I've never heard Matz discuss the ! in a way that made it sound like
he would use it outside of method pairs, and I'm still not sure what
the purpose would be.  It's not a language-level rule, but I think
it's the intent behind the !.

David