Hi --

On Thu, 8 Mar 2007, Trans wrote:

> Now we all seem to agree that it at least makes sense to say
> object_class to go along with object_id. And while I know there's
> resistance to object_send (and instance_send) it makes a heck of a lot
> of sense mnemonically. So if we could just go with that then there are
> only four methods left:
>
>> extend
>> freeze
>> taint
>> untaint

This reminds me of the routine where George Carlin reduces the ten
commandments to one :-)

> I now sure about extend, but as for the last three. if these are
> really critical then I'd take Daniel's idea about "action" to heart
> and add a ! to them. They pretty much embody the idea of "danger"
> methods.
>
>  freeze!
>  taint!
>  untaint!

Action != danger :-)  Also, ! methods always come in pairs.  That's
not enforced by the language, of course, but it's the convention: the
! indicates the dangerous version of a pair of methods where there's
also a non-dangerous version.  Those three methods state clearly what
they do in their names, and they don't occur in pairs, so it's not a !
situation.

David