On Thu, 8 Mar 2007 03:13:33 +0900, Wes Gamble <weyus / att.net> wrote:
> If Rjb returned a named class instead of an anonymous one, would I then
> be able to marshal it?

No, not at this time.  It isn't even technically feasible to implement unless the Java object being wrapped belongs to a class which supports Java serialization (i.e. implements java.io.Serializable).

> BTW, why can't anonymous classes be dumped?

A class name is required by Ruby's marshal format, since otherwise there would be no way to determine which class to use when loading the marshalled object.  Remember that a dumped object may be loaded in a different interpreter instance than the one that dumped it.

-mental