On 3/7/07, Chad Perrin <perrin / apotheon.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 07, 2007 at 08:08:35PM +0900, 7stud 7stud wrote:
> >
> > To me 'elif' stands out like a red flag.  'elsif' is a more subtle
> > differentiation, and I couldn't spot it even though I had the problem
> > narrowed down to 3 lines of code.  The "Ruby in 20 Minutes" tutorial is
> > obviously geared to the experienced programmer(beginner's don't know
> > what classes are or what an 'attr_accessor' is), so I would suggest
> > putting this in the tutorial:
> >
> > LOOK AT THE ELSIF SYNTAX CAREFULLY--IT'S 'ELSIF' NOT 'ELSEIF'
> >
> > with the 'E' in elseif in red.
>
> Really, your complaint amounts to nothing more than "I'm more used to
> the way language A does it than the way language B does it -- so
> language B must be wrong."
>
> Technically speaking, "elseif", "elsif", and "elif" are equally "wrong".
> To do it right, you'd have to make it "else if".
Chad you remind me of a dispute between fans of Domingo and Pavarotti when
a spanish music magazin explained that such discussions are futile and
nobody can judge at that level. This explaination took a whole article
just in concluding that Carreras was better than both...

So why would "else if" be better?

Cheers
Robert

> --
> CCD CopyWrite Chad Perrin [ http://ccd.apotheon.org ]
> "It's just incredible that a trillion-synapse computer could actually
> spend Saturday afternoon watching a football game." - Marvin Minsky

-Anonymous