Hi --

On 3/7/07, Brian Candler <B.Candler / pobox.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 07, 2007 at 09:09:59PM +0900, Trans wrote:
> > >
> > > Alternatively, make your own methods on the objects themselves, giving them
> > > whatever consistent naming scheme you feel like:
> >

> > Woh! Now you're undermining the very reasons for doing this. If we all
> > go willy nilly naming these things whatever we want we'll be in a
> > worse can of soup thatn we were to begin with.
>
> I was just trying to make something which might be more palatable to the OP.
>
> If I understand rightly, he would rather use foo#object_class,
> foo#object_send, foo#object_method etc. as a way of lexically identifying
> these methods as "meta programming methods". I showed how he could implement
> exactly what he asks for, where he wants it, without demanding changes to
> the core Ruby language.
>
> However I agree with you - explicit reflections (which take an object as an
> argument, rather than being methods on all objects) are probably a better
> idea, to avoid the clutter.
>
> I think the argument is moot unless Matz decides to go this way in a later
> version of Ruby; otherwise we'll still have method soup anyway :-)

But we don't.  The method names in Ruby are hand-crafted with great
care, and they show it.  Also, when there are soup-like tendencies,
Matz is eager and happy to discuss them.

(I see the smiley but I'm concerned that the drift of this thread
could be seen as: Matz botched the method-naming thing, so we have to
intervene and figure out how to fix it.)

David