On Wed, Mar 07, 2007 at 08:08:35PM +0900, 7stud 7stud wrote:

> To me 'elif' stands out like a red flag.  'elsif' is a more subtle
> differentiation, and I couldn't spot it even though I had the problem
> narrowed down to 3 lines of code.  The "Ruby in 20 Minutes" tutorial is
> obviously geared to the experienced programmer(beginner's don't know
> what classes are or what an 'attr_accessor' is), so I would suggest
> putting this in the tutorial:
>
> LOOK AT THE ELSIF SYNTAX CAREFULLY--IT'S 'ELSIF' NOT 'ELSEIF'
>
> with the 'E' in elseif in red.

Really, your complaint amounts to nothing more than "I'm more used to
the way language A does it than the way language B does it -- so
language B must be wrong."

Technically speaking, "elseif", "elsif", and "elif" are equally "wrong".
To do it right, you'd have to make it "else if".

"It's just incredible that a trillion-synapse computer could actually
spend Saturday afternoon watching a football game." - Marvin Minsky