On 3/7/07, Hans Sjunnesson <hans.sjunnesson / gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mar 7, 9:56 am, 7stud 7stud <dol... / excite.com> wrote:
> > What the??  I just spent two days trying to figure out why I couldn't
> > reproduce the example in "Ruby in 20 minutes" and get it to work.  After
> > examining my code line for line against the example code and not being
> > able to detect any error, I was assembling several code examples into a
> > text file to post here, when I happened to notice  'elsif'.    Why
> > didn't Ruby flag 'elseif' as an error?
> >
> > Does Ruby try differentiate itself in ridiculous ways like that just for
> > the sake of being different?  And why isn't something like that
> > explicitly pointed out in a beginning tutorial?  So far, I have to give
> > Ruby two thumbs down.
> >
> > C++, Java,  Javascript, php, Servlets+JSP programmer
> >
> > --
>
> Well, Ruby doesn't try to differentiate itself in ridiculous ways just
> for the sake of being different. It's not a person.
> However, it will spit out a "undefined method 'elseif' for main:Object
> (NoMethodError)" when you use 'elseif', so it's really not a problem
> is it?
>
> --
> Hans

No of course it is not :)
I think to understand the frustration of OP however.
He is probably coming from a completely different world and it is not
always easy to grasp new concepts.
Therefore I preferred to ignore the aggressive nature of the post ;).
He might even have a point when he says that this is maybe not really
well documented, With this I do not mean the "elseif" of course but
just the dynamic evaluation of the code.

Maybe a chapter for that kind of pitfalls could be added somewhere -
well it probably is already, maybe somebody can indicate that.

This is however not a clearcut thing as it might seem at first view.

Robert

-Anonymous