Brian Candler wrote:
>> >         FileUtils.touch 'timestamp'
>> >         FileUtils.touch Dir.glob('*.c');  system 'make'
>> >

>> > -a
>>
>> Thanks. ri verbage is rarely clear to me. These sample lines definitely
>> seem to be referring to Unix stuff.
>
> Not really. The first creates an empty file called 'timestamp'; the
> second
> updates the timestamps of all files *.c in the current directory, and
> then
> runs 'make' (which could be a DOS command)
>
>> "make" means nothing in Windows.
>> where I am. Thanks, anyway.
>
> Use the source :-)
>
> Find fileutils.rb on your system (on mine it's
> /usr/lib/ruby/1.8/fileutils.rb but it'll be different under Windows)
>
> Scan down to "def touch". You'll see it's a simple function which just
> calls
>
>     File.utime(t, t, path)
>
> which I think is what you're really looking for.

>      File.utime(atime, mtime, file_name,...)   =>  integer

Thanks, Brian! Well, no, "make" is meaningless in DOS or Windows,
believe me. But, I did look into the fileutils.rb file and I do indeed
see what you point out. I'd never have thought to look into one of these
files. Amazing to me. So, I've tried this and it still doesn't work:

FileUtils.touch("file1", "file2")

What does "t" stand for above?