David Hughes wrote:
> I am a total newb in RoR.  But this community looks awesome.   Am really
> looking forward to learning Ruby and its elements.
>
> Having said that, the following is a really crummy problem. Am running
> Fedora Core 6. Ruby installed fine.  Gem appears to have installed as
> well.  Went to install the Ruby Asset manager and the following....
>
> configure: error: Can't install RMagick. Can't find libMagick or one of
> the dependent libraries.
>                   Check the config.log file for more detailed
> information.

I don't know the specifics of how you need to use RMagick, but if it's
fairly simple you can try just shelling out to imagemagick.  In my case,
I only needed to resize an image, so I just used backtick to call the
imagemagick convert command:

`convert -resize 480x360 #{temp_file_path} #{file_path}`

As long as imagemagick has been installed (fairly common on Linux), it
works fine. Switching to RMagick as been on my list, but it's way down
on the list :)