I think I chose a bad example, I don't want to just find things :) but
it looks like that's the problem people have aimed at.

The %x{} is very useful for some things I admit.

I've got some areas where a pipe-to-ruby would be really nice.  I'm
sure if it's there I'll find other uses for it too.

Good point about the choice of which irb to send it to though.  I was
planning on looking into how screen finds screens to attach to.  If
only one is open that belongs to that user, it automagically attaches
to that one, if there is more than one, it politely coughs and
requests that you specify one.  Sadly that does make things a little
more complex.

Lets just settle on, I'm going to write this since it doesn't exist in
the form I want to use.  And I'm going to write it as an object the
client has to open.

Now, moving on... Would something like this seem bad (style in ruby,
in general, or in functionality)
require 'silly/Kpipe'
mine=Kpipe.new
puts mine.id
> 1701

then in the shell (a non find example!)-----------
#*nix> mpg123 silly.mp3 -s |toruby 1701

then back in irb-----
mine.each_byte{|i| likeiknowwhattodowithwavdata(i) }