On Mar 4, 2007, at 21:28, Ara.T.Howard wrote:
> you know those threads where someone posts a bit of slow ruby code,
> then
> people rework it until it's orders of magnitude faster?
>
> what's the BEST one you can remember?

I liked the one I posted with my writeup of making png.rb faster with
RubyInline since Dominik (sp?) gained similar speedups with pure-
ruby.  I think the pure-ruby speed-up ended up within an order of
magnitude of the selectively-optimized RubyInline version.  Instead
of making the operations faster, Dominik changed the data structures
slightly for speed to reduce work.