Sebastian Hungerecker wrote:
> Does "all major platforms" include Linux/Unix? If so, how do you find out what
> the user's default browser is there?

The browser will often be already running, and I expect that most X11
browsers will have adopted the Netscape procedure (using X properties,
I have code for that from years ago) to be told which URL to open. I
don't think it distinguishes windows from tabs, but that's not really
for the caller to control anyhow.

If the X display variable isn't set, or the relevant properties aren't
on the display, then you need to either fail or start a browser. A
list of several of the most popular would be an acceptable way to
start, and a preferred-browser environment variable would allow
customization after that.

Clifford Heath.