On 3/2/07, Robert Dober <robert.dober / gmail.com> wrote:
> On 3/2/07, Rick DeNatale <rick.denatale / gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > I was suggesting that an analysis of how the relative numbers are
> > changing between 1.8 and 1.9 might be interesting.
> >
> > Besides the fact that YARV seems quite a bit faster overall, I think
> > that some of the rules of thumb based on benchmarking on the 'classic'
> > Ruby implementation are going to change for the new Ruby.
> >
> I thought so Rick, but they seem identical, I mean the same factor of
> slowfown for proc and call, right?
> Just that YARV runs quite faster :)

Not really, here's a cross tabulation (formatting likely to get screwed up)

	                           1.8      1.9     ratio 1.8/1.9
rd -block_given?        6.43	2.04     3.15
rd -&blk	           28.92  10.52     2.75
ratio                           4.5     5.16

jv ? block_given?	3.47	1.77	  1.96
jv ? &blk	            8.86    2.45       3.62
ratio                         2.55    1.38

So for your (Robert's) version of the benchmark the difference between
the two approaches has widened in 1.9, while in Joel's it has
narrowed.

Significant?  I don't know, but interesting.

--
Rick DeNatale

My blog on Ruby
http://talklikeaduck.denhaven2.com/