Gregory Brown wrote:

> This is starting to be a real problem, in the sense that bug reports
> or problems end up in RubyTalk or some other forum / mailing list
> rather than in the hands of the developers who can address the
> problems in the format they expect.
> With no offense intended to the OP, how can we get people to go to the
> right place?

Maybe I can provide an anecdotical data point. Last time I reported a
request for a feature improvement in Ruby in Rubyforge it did feel a lot
to me like it had disapeard in /dev/null [1].

Lately a coworker of mine was discussing some Ruby project he was doing
and the fact that he was not sure where to report bugs because sending
them to the tracker didn't result in any feedback [2].

That's also why I recently went to ruby-talk with the gettimeofday
problem...

I'm not saying this because I'd like to be cared about like a baby but
because no feedback is not trivially distinguishable from non-function.

> For example, Ruport we want you to use our Trac and/or Mailing List
> for contact, but putting these links in our README doesn't seem to do
> the trick.
> I'm mostly looking for ideas, but how do you guys think we can best
> direct traffic?  Maybe hacking a "where to go for help" link into
> RubyForge?

*t

[1] http://rubyforge.org/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=4833&group_id=426&atid=1698
[2] search the same tracker for "Karl Brodowsky"

   Tomas Pospisek
   http://sourcepole.com -  Linux & Open Source Solutions