Peter Bailey wrote:
> A simple question . . .
>
> I wrote a little Ruby script that defines budgetary periods during the
> course of a year. This is for my company's budget schedule. There are 13
> budget periods during any year. Anyway, I did this script. It seems to
> work. I tested it and I can do a "put" of whatever budget period it is
> now.
>
> I'd like to use this code in other scripts. It's named
> "BNAbudgetperiods.rb." So, I did a require 'BNAbudgetperiods' in one of
> my other scripts. But, when I do a put in that second script, it just
> gives me "nil." It doesn't complain. It just gives me "nil." Is there
> something special I need to do in the hierarchy of Ruby script locations
> so that other scripts can respect any other script I want to require?
> These two scripts are in the same directory.
>
> Thanks,
> Peter

Ruby searches for required files in a search path that is defined when
you install Ruby. You can see what directories are in the search path by
entering this command:

ruby -e"puts $:"

You can either put your script in a directory in the search path, or you
can modify the search path by adding directories to it. There are two
ways to modify the search path:

A) set the RUBYLIB environment variable to a list of colon-delimited
directories. Each directory in the list will be added to the front of
the search path.

   export RUBYLIB=/home/me/my/scripts/dir
   or
   set RUBYLIB=C:\my\scripts\dir

B) use the -I option when you run your script. You can specify -I more
than once if necessary.

   ruby -I my/scripts/dir myscript.rb