On Mar 1, 3:04 pm, james.d.mast... / gmail.com wrote:
> ... I'm pretty sure that I've seen this behavior noted before in
> newsgroups... I'll try to find references and post.

And here is the reference for those interested; with comments in the
post from none other than Matz himself... unfortunately, he just
describes the behavior of class variables and does not express a
desire to add true inheritance of variables between classes.

http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.ruby/browse_thread/thread/13c6275b3da69be6/dc6bcceed21db7d2

Wouldn't it just be nice to have a way to inherit variables instead of
jumping through hoops?  So that leads us back to my original question:
do later versions of Ruby plan on addressing this?  I think that the
answer for now is "no" as I haven't heard anything to the contrary.

Thanks,
-James