OK, I did... and I also ran the code that you provided in the second
example.  I really do understand the concept of class instance
variables.  But I'm trying to show how they can be preset and have the
preset values inherited.  Maybe I'll take your example and show you
what I'm looking for.  Take your example and insert:

  @class_instance_var = 1

as the last line in the class definition of C.  I'm looking for
functionality where the first two lines of the class instance variable
printing that you have in your example would look like this:

C.class_instance_var=C
D.class_instance_var=1

Because D inherits from C and C had previously preset
@class_instance_var to 1, then I'd expect D to inherit that.  At first
glance, you'd think that I was asking for a class variable, but it
would be useful (in the majority of the time IMHO) to NOT to have it
share the exact same namespace as C as is how class variables work
now.

Brian's response seems to do what I'm looking for... check out his
response.  Now it would be nice to have this integrated into the
language itself (again, IMHO).  I'm pretty sure that I've seen this
behavior noted before in newsgroups... I'll try to find references and
post.

For now, I'll probably put together an accessor as Brian noted.