On Feb 28, 2007, at 06:14, David Chelimsky wrote:
> On 2/27/07, Eric Hodel <drbrain / segment7.net> wrote:
>> > Here's the output. If anything strikes you off the bat, please
>> help.
>> > If not, I'll keep digging.
>> >
>> > $ tinderbox_gem_build rspec 0.8.0
>> > /usr/local/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/open-uri.rb:7: warning:
>> > discarding old open_uri_original_open
>>
>> Revert to rubygems 0.9.1.  0.9.2 reintroduced breakage when open-uri
>> is required.
>
> OK - I reverted to 0.9.1 and now I get something different. I placed
> the gem in tinderbox/cache, per Ryan's suggestion. I ran
> "tinderbox_gem_build rspec '0.8.0'", got an error AND discovered that
> the process had actually removed the gem from tinderbox/cache. Session
> below.
>
> Looking at gem_runner.rb, it uses a Gem::RemoteInstaller, which
> (logically) appears to only work from a remote location. So I think
> that this will need to be addressed explicitly to get it to work.

Hrm, I probably punted on this since RubyGems doesn't have a unified
installer and I didn't want to duplicate work.  (The "install stuff"
code is now three months old, so the details are hazy.)

> Unless there's a way I can trick rubygems into believing my local box
> is a remote repository. Can anybody help me to do that?

I think this will do it:

gem install my_gem
gem_server
gem sources --add http://localhost:8808

tinderbox_gem_build my_gem version

Of course, I aim to support all of this properly, but its a bit
difficult to get there when I'm leaning on RubyGems so heavily.