Logan Capaldo wrote:
> On Jan 20, 2006, at 3:05 PM, Tom Allison wrote:
>
>> my $super_ids;
>> print $super_id,"\n";
>
> In ruby...
>
> super_ids = nil # assign to declare
> print super_id, "\n"
>
> If you run this you'll get
> NameError: undefined local variable or method `super_id' for main:Object

Which basically means that in this "language" there is NO WAY to declare
a variable. No way to say, "hey dude, I want a new (censored) x in
here". All you get is a RUNTIME error if you print (or compute with
or...) a variable sooner than you assign to it. Which is pretty useless.
And which means that if I do a

coll.each { |i| blah blah blah}

there is no telling whether it will use a new local i or some i
"declared" outside. And there is no way to make sure it does one or the
other.

And whenever I need to loop through something I have to make sure i use
a different variable than any that could ever be "declared" in the same
scope. Don't you think it's a bit stupid? You probably don't, you
program in Ruby.