Thanks for the reply. ED has user defined color schemes along with a
wide range of syntax elements whose colors you can control. It comes
with a selection of color schemes and these can be cloned to create your
own. Of course it also meets and far exceeds your other requirements.

I've just put up this screen shot:
http://www.getsoft.com/images/ed_colorsetup.jpg which shows the "light
on dark" color scheme that's included in the ED install.

I completely agree with your comment "you have to make the interface
something people don't mind staring at for 8+ hours a day." But you also
need the functionality to go with it that makes coding quicker and
easier.

Neville Franks, http://www.getsoft.com