On Sat, Feb 24, 2007 at 06:32:09AM +0900, David Vallner wrote:
> Chad Perrin wrote:
> > The "ostensibly" bit is the important part of your statement: yes, it's
> > entirely possible to write Qt applications without KDE libraries, but so
> > rare as to be thoroughly remarkable -- especially since I haven't seen a
> > credible app yet that uses Qt but not KDE libraries.  The potential for
> > an exception is the reason I said that Qt "generall means", not "always
> > means".
>
> Skype. Opera (the Linux version definitely, not sure about the Windows
> one). Perforce. This makes it roughly a +INF times more apps that I
> regularly use over those that only use Gtk. (Which has still noticeable
> visual warts on Windowsen, so I'm biased.)

Keep in mind I speak from the perspective of someone who very rarely
uses Windows, and even more rarely uses proprietary apps on Linux or
FreeBSD.  I've never used Skype, I haven't even seen Opera running on
*someone else's machine* in the last year or two, and Perforce is so far
outside the realm of my day-to-day use that it took me a moment to
remember what it is.  (SCM stuff, I think.)

I probably should have been more clear about the fact that I'm speaking
from the perspective of an open source software user.  I guess I just
assumed it would be understood, since I'm talking about availability of
something TextMate-ish on FreeBSD and/or Linux.

Amazon.com interview candidate: "When C++ is your
hammer, everything starts to look like your thumb."