Thank you Mauricio.  This makes perfect sense now.

On a separate note to all Ruby Newby persons:  I am finding that
Programming Ruby or the PickAxe book almost should be your 2nd or 3rd
Ruby book.  I am glad that I bought David Black's Ruby for Rails book
and went through it entirely before coming back to Programming Ruby
book.  I have also bought Everyday Scripting based on my bookstore
browsing and am planning on going through it next.  I will continue to
work through Dave Thomas's Programming Ruby book though.  My advice to
everyone based on my experience is that don't get frustrated and ask
questions on this forum for clarifications.  There are some very kind,
patient, and knowledgable people who are willing to spare their time and
facilitate the learning process.

Regards,
Bharat