On Feb 15, 1:23 am, |MKSM| <mksm.s... / gmail.com> wrote:
> > Although I have only been lurking on this list for a couple of months, I
> > have been totally impressed with the expertise of the Ruby community,
> > the help offered and the lack of flames. None of what I have offered
> > today I think should get in the way of this.
>
> I agree with Jim. That is a fact in the Ruby community.
>
> I wander a lot in Ruby's IRC channel at Freenode. I believe that the
> easiest way of a newbie getting help is to just ask. If the person
> doesn't want to just shoot the question out in the open, we could have
> a few frequent IRC users that will help them through private messages.
>
> Having a channel full of mentors is somehow better than binding a
> newbie to only one person.
>
> Regards,
>
> Ricardo Amorim

I agree with him somehow.

In my short (but pleasant) experience with programming, as a newbie I
started looking for resources, forums and sources of information. Ruby
was my first language, and what made it special is that, although
there are not too many libraries or information in English, this
groups made (my) learning experience good.

I cannot say I'm a total newbie, but I think part of that learning is
to search, to ask. That's what the forums are for, and to make that
process 'private' may benefit one person, but I think it will private
that information to others. I cannot say I'm a newbie, but a lot of
what I've learnt has been through this forum. (Yeah, I'm a lurker too)

Not that is not a good idea, but it has to be more focused on oslve
specific doubts or give more extensive help to someone. I find it a
great idea to be tutor of some people of the same language, for
example.

Probably I'm not the best person to say it, but it's my point of view.