Hi,

I'm a Ruby newbie fra Norway (say that many times fast:)

Currently i'm trying to send files from one application to another
using distributed ruby (dRuby).

The files are sent, but it takes "forever".
I tried to send a Word-document (about 600 kB), and it took more than
two minutes when both applications ran locally on the same machine.

Do I have to do something special if I'm working with files other than
ordinary text?

This is the code I'm using:
###

     def fetch(fname)
       File.open(fname, 'r') do |fp|
         while buf = fp.read(4096)
           yield(buf)
       return nil
     end

     def store_from(fname, there)
       puts
       size = there.size(fname)
       wrote = 0

       File.rename(fname, fname + '.bak') if File.exists? fname
       File.open(fname, 'w') do |fp|
         yield([wrote, size]) if block_given?
         there.fetch(fname) do |buf|
           wrote += fp.write(buf)