SonOfLilit wrote:
> All of this has brought me to think of an Adopt-a-newbie model. [...]
> What do you think? Would you consider it a good idea? Would you volunteer?
> Is anyone up for infrastructure (preferrably on ruby-lang.org, though
> anywhere is good)?

  I very much like the idea, but I would like to mitigate a little the
points of view given so far. True enough, some newbie questions are
recurring and sometimes a little heavy on the list. But it often happens
that a newbie question triggers a whole bunch of completely different
answers on the list - and I've learned many tricks from 'newbie'
questions, though I hardly consider myself a newbie anymore. That would
be a pity to deprive ruby-talk reader from this interesting threads.

  To prevent that, why not change slightly the role of the 'mentor' : if
I understand right, an important part of the problem is about
self-censorship. So if the 'mentor' could act as a 'censor' (sorry, my
English is not that great and I can't come up with a more neutral term)
and redirect the newbie to the list when he/she thinks that it is likely
to trigger a rich thread ?

  Just my 2 cents...

	Vince

--
Vincent Fourmond, PhD student (not for long anymore)
http://vincent.fourmond.neuf.fr/