On 2/14/07, PéÍ Bergströí <pal / palbergstrom.com> wrote:
> Is this a similar approach like CocoaRuby? In the case of CocoaRuby I'm
> not sure why you wouldn't develop directly in Cocoa. Seems like a rather
> simple language to learn. Can Ruby be used more directly to develop apps
> (sorry for my rudimentary knowledge :-) ). What about Eclipse?

What about Eclipse? Thats just a development tool.

Ruby is a programming language. Its got libraries for networking, file
manipulation,
database access, text processing, graphics processing, GUIs etc.

In short you can use it to make applications that you would normally make
in another language. (as to which is better, thats an argument for when you
have decided on the project).

Examples would include e-mail clients, productivity scripts, bittorrent clients,
SNMP tools, database clients .... etc. etc. etc.

Where Ruby really shines is at the lower end of the scale, where I can write
complex applications in days or less. Java or C equivalents would take weeks
or possibly months.