"M. Edward (Ed) Borasky" <znmeb / cesmail.net> writes:

> M. Edward (Ed) Borasky wrote:
>
> [snip]
>
> One other little piece of flame bait :) the fact that Berkeley has a
> combined EE-CS department that produced this paper is another symptom of
> what's wrong. Computer Science has become subordinated to Electrical
> Engineering. I personally think that's very very wrong.

I'd rather that than what has happened to my old department, which has become
subordinate to IT! Instead of interesting courses on algorithms/data
structure,s parallel programming, computability, computer architecture,
graphics and game programming, logic, non-procedural languages etc, its now all
web page design, java programming, and waffeling pseudo computer science which
is more closely akin to science fiction.

With respect to your other post and comments on that article. while I don't
disagree with your analysis as it relates to right now and the immediate
future, I do think we will see a growth in parallel systems. Therre are already
reports that the rate of increase in computing power is starting to slow down.
I think once we get closer to the limit and we are not seeing the rapid
increases we have seen for the past 20 years, there will be a growth in such
technologies as we push for more and faster processing power.

Parallel programming and architectures was one of my favorite courses when I
did my degree. I remember spending ages writing a C program which ran on a
special (extremely expensive) card for a PC that was sort of like a poor mans
hypercube. It was a horrible environment (OS wise - something like DOS 1!, but
it was a lot of fun. Actually, I upset my lecturer as I somehow managed to fry
the board (I think it was on its way out, I was just unlucky enough
to be the sucker using it at the time!). The program was an implementation of
the dineing philosophers problem. I'd say it is still one of the more
interesting and truely challenging little projects I've worked on.

Tim

--
tcross (at) rapttech dot com dot au